Robert W. Harelson PSY.D, SAP, Logo
(925) 951-0176
3411 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, Suite C, Lafayette, CA 94549
A Certified Addiction Specialist

Frequently Asked Questions

Stay informed of your rights with help from Robert W. Harelson Psy.D, SAP. Based in Lafayette, California, he provides substance abuse evaluations and other court services. Take a look at some of his most commonly-asked questions to get started.

Q: What is a substance abuse evaluation?

A: The process involves three phases; the initial evaluation, completion of recommendations, and a follow-up appointment to certify compliance with the recommendations. For More Information on the Process Click Here

Q: How quickly can I expect to return to work?

A: As soon as the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) certifies you as compliant, he will notify your employer or monitoring organization (such as DISA or ASAP) that you are deemed eligible to return to work. In cases where there is no prior history of positive testing or substance abuse, it may be possible to complete the process in a few days.

Q: What happens if I test positive on a return-to duty drug test?

A: You will be excluded from safety sensitive work for a period of three years.

Q: Can I refuse to take a drug test at work?

A: The answer is no. A refusal to test is considered a positive test result.

Q: If I apply for a new job and my employer questions whether I am compliant, what do I do?

A: The SAP is required to keep a file for five years, and upon request will notify a prospective employer of your compliance.

Q: Can a California resident who receives a DUI in another state have his/her substance abuse evaluation performed in California?

A: Yes, they can. The courts are looking for the SAP to determine the level of education or counseling that the individual needs.

Q: What happens if my employer suspects I'm under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs?

A: The employer can order reasonable suspension testing. Reasonable Testing Information

Contact Dr. Harelson for more information on substance abuse evaluations and other court services.